Click on the links below to see STEM content as recommended by NM MESA staff.
To Receive Credit for:
- Participating in our Virtual STEM Series or any virtual workshop we have promoted: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MIMSSTEMSeries
- Participating in our statewide service learning initiatives: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VirtualServiceLearning
NOTE: If you participated in more than one activity, a new form will need to be submitted for each.
5/28 – Join us in hosting Dr. Heather Canavan as she discusses Adaptive Biomedical Engineering. She started the company Adaptive Biomedical Design with her students to match idea generators with people to bring ideas to life.
Date/Time: Thursday, May 28th @ 1 PM MST
For Recording, click HERE
5/22 – The NM MESA STEM Series is proud to host New Mexico Highlands University biology professor Jesús Rivas’. Dr. Rivas’ is known globally for his anaconda research, which spans 28 years. He is a Venezuelan-born herpetologist – a scientist who studies reptiles and amphibians. Rivas’ founded the ongoing Anaconda Project in 1992, which focuses on research and conservation.
- Date/Time: Friday, May 22nd @ 3 PM MST
For Recording, Click HERE
5/20 – Join the Alliance for Climate Education (ACE) tomorrow for a 60-minute virtual Our Climate Our Future LIVE assembly! We’ll be learning about climate science, climate justice and climate solutions. Renowned climate scientist Scott Denning will be taking questions during the event.
Date/Time: Wednesday, May 20th @ 11 AM MST
For Zoom link: RSVP to email@example.com
Our Climate, Our Future videos: https://ourclimateourfuture.org/videos/
- Educational Materials: Student Worksheets
5/12 – Join NM MESA as we host Steven Smith, STEM EPDC Education Specialist for NASA-Johnson Center. For the first time since 2011, NASA will launch an American Rocket from American Soil on May 27, 2020. Tune in to hear all about NASA’s Commercial Crew Program as NASA and SpaceX join together in a flight to the International Space Station.
Date/Time: Tuesday, May 12th @ 3 PM MST
For Recording, Click HERE
- Educational Resources: www.NASA.gov/STEM
International Space Station: www.nasa.gov/stemonstation
Education Materials: https://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/centers/marshall/classroom/index.html
5/5 – Join SER National as they host retired NASA Astronaut Jose Hernandez in an online Q&A Session. SER STEM WebEx Event
4/30 – Watch the Tohatchi High School YouTube video from the Wolves Den Inventors Workshop presented LIVE online Friday, April 24.
- Tochatchi HS Wolves Den YouTube presentation
- Congratulations on their Wolves Den win!
4/27 – Join Veterinarian Dr. Jenna Whatley to learn about her career and will lead a discussion on Zoonotic diseases (diseases that can be transferred between animals and humans) and information on COVID in pets.
- Date/Time: Wednesday, April 29th @ 2pm MST
- Welcome: This event is open to all MESA advisors, students, family & friends. For the Zoom event link please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recording of Event: click HERE
4/20 – This week, NM MESA will highlight one of our community partners, Explora. Each week, they post an Explora Challenge. “This week the challenge is PATTERNS, so have no fear. Just open your eyes and, I’m sure, one is near.”
- To access challenge and video, https://www.facebook.com/ExploraScienceCenter/videos/3171454156413352/
- For all other Explora related content, please visit and friend the Explora Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ExploraScienceCenter/
4/16 – MarineLab Zoom webinar => Coral Reef Ecology. NOTE: MarineLab is hosting in place of our planned 2020 SIFT Trip Activity.
- Date/Time: Thursday, April 16 @ 11AM MST
- Resource Material: Marine Lab Handout
- Host: Sarah Egner, Director of Education @ MarineLab
We did not record our MESA session, but MarineLab recorded this session and others for public use, to access click HERE
4/13 – Mr. Romero, Valencia Middle School MESA advisor Do It Yourself Mask (YouTube, 17 seconds)
4/10 – NMSU College of Engineering An Engineer’s Approach to Mode Mitigate the spread of COVID-19 (YouTube,1 hour 4 minutes)
NM MESA’s Commitment to Service
In a continuing effort to assist our communities and promote our commitment to service learning, NM MESA is encouraging all of our stakeholders to do what they can, however they can. Be kind and support your communities. Some ideas and areas of current need:
Food Bank Assistance:
- Give Funds. Financial contributions go much further in moments like these. The support will help to provide funding to obtain what is needed most. To give, visit the website of food bank serving your county or contact them directly.
- Give Time. As essential businesses, volunteers are critical in the ability of food banks to prep food for distribution. Please consider donating time in your community if you are healthy and well. Connect with one of the food banks in your community to get involved.
- Give Food.Non-perishable food donations will be accepted at any of the food bank’s during business hours. Community members who are ill or experiencing any symptoms of an illness should arrange for another person to deliver food donations to the food bank. As food banks our fleet of vehicles must remain focused on delivering food, food pick ups will not be available.
In addition to the food banks mentioned above that service all of New Mexico, there are many additional local food pantries and meal distribution sites. To find a local pantry, you can visit: New Mexico Food Pantry Finder @ https://www.foodpantries.org/st/new_mexico
P.O. Box 520, Gallup, NM 87305
Services the following counties: Cibola, McKinley
401 South Commercial Avenue, Farmington, NM 87401
Services the following counties: San Juan
5840 Office Blvd. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
505 S. Main St., Suite, 129 A, Las Cruces, NM 88001
Services the following counties: Bernalillo, Catron, Chaves, Dona Ana, Eddy, Grant, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, Otero, Sandoval, Sierra, Socorro, Torrance, Valencia
2217 E. Brady, Clovis, NM 88101
Services the following counties: Curry, DeBaca, Guadalupe, Quay, Roosevelt
1222 A Siler Road, Santa Fe, NM 87507
Services the following counties: Colfax, Harding, Los Alamos, Mora, Rio Arriba, San Miguel, Santa Fe, Taos, Union
Healthcare Professional Outreach:
At a time where our healthcare heroes are on the front lines of service in this pandemic, please consider sending words of encouragement to healthcare professionals. These contacts will also work if you are interested in any type of homemade mask/PPE distribution. For PPE, please contact the facility first to ensure a donation is possible.
Contact Local Hospital Administrators in the Volunteer or Community Relations Dept. and identify your school. Each hospital will provide you with the department head contact for you. Here is a short list of links of facilities near our Regional Offices:
Albuquerque and Surrounding Area
Presbyterian – email@example.com
Lovelace – Joyce.Carabajal@lovelace.com
UNMH – call (505) 272-2356
UNM Sandoval Regional MC – call (505) 994-7353
Las Vegas Area
Alta Vista Hospital – Linda_Leyba@quorumhealth.com
Santa Fe Area
Christus St. Vincent Hospital Foundation – Auxilians@stvin.org
Gallup Indian Medical Center – call main number (505) 722-1000
RMCH – firstname.lastname@example.org
Cibola General Hospital – Cynthia_Tena@cibolahospital.com
San Juan Regional Medical Center – contact teen volunteer coordinator – email@example.com
Eastern NM Medical Center – contact main number (575) 622-8170
Las Cruces Area
Mountain View Regional Medical Center – Annette Morales (575) 522-0502
Plains Regional Medical Center – main number 575-769-2141