The NM MESA, Inc., Annual Statewide Math and Science “MESA DAY” is designed to encourage the concept of problem solving through teamwork. It salutes NM MESA students for their commitment to academic excellence and reinforces the NM MESA mission of preparing students from historically underrepresented ethnic groups for college majors and careers in math, engineering and science.
In keeping with our mission, advisors are encouraged to assemble teams that are representative of the ethnic and gender diversity of their school and MESA enrollment.
According to the National Science Foundation INFEWS Program:
“Humanity depends upon the Earth’s physical resources and natural systems for food, energy, and water (FEW). However, both the physical resources and the FEW systems are under increasing stress. It is becoming imperative that we determine how society can best integrate social, ecological, physical and built environments to provide for growing demand for food, energy and water in the short term while also maintaining appropriate ecosystem services for the future.
Known stressors in FEW systems include governance challenges, population growth and migration, land use change, climate variability, and uneven resource distribution. The interconnections and interdependencies associated with the FEW Nexus pose research grand challenges. To meet these grand challenges, there is a critical need for research that enables new means of adapting societal use of FEW systems.”
All of our events will address the topic of Energy as a Grand Challenge. NM MESA schools are invited to participate in our MESA Day as follows:
- On Site Science – Energy Science Escape
- On Site Math – Watts Up? Calculating Energy Efficiency
- Prepared Design – Living Off the Grid: Build a Smart House
- On Site Engineering – Generating Energy
Attendance and Qualification
See below to determine the number of teams your school can bring.
MESA Day Track
20-39 profiles: Max number of teams = 1
40+ profiles: Max number of teams = 2
79+ profiles: Max number of teams = 3
MESA USA Track
20+ profiles: Max number of teams = 3
MESA Day Important Information
- 2020 MESA Day Handbook
- 2020 Frequently Asked Questions Document (posted when available)
This document is intended to clarify any information pertaining to the upcoming MESA Day/Region Design events; also acts as an addendum to the MESA Day Handbook and will be followed at each competition.
MESA Day Dates and Deadlines
- February 28, 2020 @ 5pm: MESA Day Submittal Deadline
- Deadline to enter students in MIMS (A-2)
- Deadline to submit A-1’s to Regional Coordinator for MESA Day eligibility – English | Spanish
- Regional Coordinator Inspections
- Submit USA Items – Project Report
- Online Registration (when available)
- Team/School Information
- Transportation Request
- MESA Day Leadership Council Nomination
- March 24, 2020 – MESA USA Competition
- March 25, 2020 – MESA Day Competition
- March 26, 2020 – Competition Final Scoring and Awards LIVE Announcement