With Small Things We Can Make a Big Impact!
During the time of MESA’s Big Give (December 6-20, 2020), the MESA Family will contribute back to our communities across New Mexico. Engaging in service learning provides us all with the opportunity to become active members of our community and has a lasting, positive impact on society at large. Volunteerism enables all of us to acquire life skills and knowledge, helps to build community equity, as well as provides a service to those who need it most.
Join us! MESA students, advisors, families, staff, schools, Board Members, stakeholders, and all others welcome. Independent projects will be highlighted on our social media platforms and our website.
Requirements for Student/Advisor Credit (5 points Service Learning):
- Complete your Service Project Sometime Between the Period of December 6, 2020 – December 20, 2020
- Minimum of (1) Hour Service Learning Time Commitment
- Completion of Service with a Community Member or Organization
- Community Member Must be a Non-Family Member
- Complete On-Line Submission Form by EXTENDED DEADLINE OF 5 PM on January 15, 2021
For Community Participants: Either complete submission form or submit information to email@example.com . We want to share the collective impact of our entire MESA Family.
On-Line Submission Form will Collect:
- Student Name and Contact Information (email, phone)
- Person/Organization Contact Information (name, phone, mailing address)
- Description of Service and Testimonial
- Hour(s) Completed (Date, Time)
- Picture of Service Completion.
- Ensure a respectful photo. If photo has individuals, all individuals in photo should give permission for use. Please be sensitive to individuals that are receiving service.
- Photo can be of participant(s) doing service, the service itself, the building/location, finished project, etc.
- Preferred: Follow, Tag, and/or Share your Service Learning Experience on your Social Media
Suggestions for Service:
- Complete your service alone or with close friends and/or family in your household.
- NOTE: Current COVID restrictions and guidelines should be followed. Maintain allowable small groups and distancing guidelines. Please mask up and sanitize when in public spaces.
- Many organizations still need lots of help over the holidays and are scheduling volunteers and shifting roles to be adequately distanced and COVID-Safe. Arrangements will probably need to be made in advance.
- Complete your service with someone or an organization that has personal significance to you and/or your community.
- Work as a MESA School Group to identify an organization that need’s assistance that can be done individually.
- Our Big Give is a time commitment, but your service may include doing something that collects good for an organization: run/walk for a cause, organizing a toy drive, organizing a food collection, creating animal toys for a shelter, creating care packages for the military, creating overnight bags for foster children placement, collection of goods for a domestic violence program, etc.
- Credit will not be given just for donating items, it must also include a time commitment.
- Consider the elderly, a neighbor, or community members that need assistance with outdoor or home tasks: painting, snow removal, firewood, yard clean up, etc.
- Contact local community centers that may need assistance: senior centers, CYFD, social services, animal shelters, homeless shelters, youth centers, etc.
- Consider donating your time to a school clothes closet or food pantry.
- Consider a community clean up. All that is needed are some garbage bags, a mask, and some gloves.
- Consider Food Bank Assistance. To find a local pantry, you can visit: New Mexico Food Pantry Finder @ https://www.foodpantries.org/st/new_mexico. Below are the state food banks (Source: http://www.nmfoodbanks.org/).
New Mexico Food Banks:
P.O. Box 520, Gallup, NM 87305
Services the following counties: Cibola, McKinley
401 South Commercial Avenue, Farmington, NM 87401
Services the following counties: San Juan
5840 Office Blvd. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
505 S. Main St., Suite, 129 A, Las Cruces, NM 88001
Services the following counties: Bernalillo, Catron, Chaves, Dona Ana, Eddy, Grant, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, Otero, Sandoval, Sierra, Socorro, Torrance, Valencia
2217 E. Brady, Clovis, NM 88101
Services the following counties: Curry, DeBaca, Guadalupe, Quay, Roosevelt
1222 A Siler Road, Santa Fe, NM 87507
Services the following counties: Colfax, Harding, Los Alamos, Mora, Rio Arriba, San Miguel, Santa Fe, Taos, Union