NM MESA is proud to announce our 2022 MESA Day Competition
All of our events will address the topic of Celebrating Invention. NM MESA schools are invited to participate in our MESA Day as follows:
- On Site Science-Invention Station Quest
- On Site Math-New Mexico Math
- On Site Art Achievement-Artistic Invention
- On Site Engineering-Music and Machine Motion
- Prepared Design-IDEA Challenge, Solutions for Educators
EVENT RESOURCES AND DOCUMENTS:
- 2022 MESA Day Handbook with Agenda (v2 Posted 10PM 11/5/21)
- 2022 MESA Day Prepared Design User Profile Template-REQUIRED PER TEAM
- Microsoft Word Version
- Microsoft Assistance with Saving and Submitting Template
- Google Docs Version-THIS IS A MASTER FILE and cannot be edited. Once the document is open you will need to log in to your Google Account and save an editable copy. PLEASE review instructions below.
- Google Docs Assistance with Saving and Submitting Template
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES:
- February 1, 2022: Registration Available
- March 11, 2022 at 5PM: Registration Deadline and Submission of Prepared Design Materials
- April 7-8, 2022: MESA Day Competition, Middle and High School
- April 11, 2022: Awards Day
- Prepared Design Submissions Available for Public Viewing
- Awards Presentation at 3:00 PM MST
Full Information for our MESA Day Event is located in our 2022 MESA Day Handbook.
ALL TEAMS: The MESA Day competition will run like a MESA Medley. Each team will be composed of 2-4 students. If schools have multiple teams, full team(s) of (4) members must be created and all events filled before building an additional team. Example: Team 1 must be complete with 4 students and a Prepared Design submission before adding a Team 2. Team 2 can then be partially complete.
All team members will work together on the Prepared Design event. However, students will compete individually in their assigned event. If a team has less than (4) members, they can only compete in the number of events they have team members for. Team names MUST be declared as follows: (School) (Level) – (Team #). Example: Mesaville High School – Team #1
Each school is allowed to have (4) named alternates that can be used on any team. In addition, the day of MESA Day, teams may be condensed if needed to complete teams. Example: Students can be moved from Team 4 to Team 2 in the event of no shows. It is HIGHLY suggested to identify alternates in the event a student(s) cannot attend the event.
ELIGIBILITY: All participating teams must come from official New Mexico MESA School Programs. Schools must be considered official, and advisors must enter all profiles (A-2’s) and submit all A-1’s to their Regional Coordinator’s Office by 5 PM MST, Friday, March 11, 2022. Only the students listed on the roster (have their A-2 submitted and have their A-1’s submitted) will be eligible to participate. NO EXCEPTIONS!
ATTENDANCE AND QUALIFICATION: All schools will be allowed to participate in MESA Day as follows. Please use the table to determine the number of teams your school can bring.
MESA Day Competition
Small School: <= 30 profiles
Max number of teams=2
Large School: >=31 and <=69 profiles
Max number of teams=4
Extra Large School: >=70 profiles
Max number of teams=6
COVID POLICY: All events are expected to be completed in person (besides the Prepared Design) and they will not be converted virtually. If an individual student cannot attend due to a quarantine requirement, a named alternate may take their place. If an entire team is unable to attend due to school closure or quarantine, then the program will not be allowed to compete in the on-site events and a makeup will not be arranged. The team’s prepared design will still be included in that event for consideration and an “Other Competition Credit” in MIMS.
Events will be held in a way to minimize contact with large groups of people (see agenda) and schools will be assigned shifts to host the event in smaller batches. This event will follow current CDC guidelines which could include wearing masks indoors, recommended distancing, required sanitation, etc. More information will come on the exact requirements closer to the event.
Food: (1) meal voucher will be provided per competing student and school advisor. Exact location to be determined but will be a voucher for a meal at an Albuquerque local eatery within a pre-arranged menu. Because schools will be shifted in attendance, meals will be available for lunch or dinner depending on your individual school schedule. No other meals will be provided.
Lodging: Lodging will not be provided for participants in the MESA Day Event. Lodging is provided for competing MESA USA students (see the MESA USA manual for specifics) which will run consecutively. But is arranged independently.
Transportation: Transportation will be provided according to the current NM MESA Transportation Policy and reasonable bus-pooling may be expected with other schools from their district and/or area schools. If a school district has specific requirements that NM MESA is unable to accommodate, they may be responsible for financial assistance with transportation. Smaller vehicles and/or suburban use is recommended for smaller teams.
Agenda Shifts: See the General Agenda for exact times. During registration you will rank your preference of shift assignment and final assignments will be provided by March 14, 2022. Consideration will be given to accommodate travel logistics as best as able to include MESA USA participation, bus-pooling schools, distance traveled, lodging arrangements, or other travel considerations.
STATEWIDE OFFICE MIMS CREDIT: Students that submit items at the initial registration deadline will receive an “Other Competition” Participation Credit in MIMS. Students that compete in the live MESA Day Event will receive an additional MESA Day Participation Credit in MIMS.
MESA DAY REGISTRATION: This is required for any team wanting to attend MESA Day. All registration and submittal of materials will be done via the Cvent System with a direct link on the MESA Day Event Page on the NM MESA Website. ALL REGISTRATION WILL NEED TO BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY BY FRIDAY, MARCH 11, 2022 at 5PM.
Information You Will Need Per School Registration:
- How many teams you are bringing (and eligible for)
- Ranking for Attendance Shift and any Reasoning for Assignment
- What students are doing what event?
- Unique Email Address
- School Name, Level (HS or MS), Region
- Advisor Information and Contact information (phone, email, mailing address)
- Student Names and Assigned Event.
- NOTE: There have been problems with student school emails accepting emails from the nmmesa.org domain. ENSURE that there is a good email as direct contact will be made to the competing student(s) by the Event Coordinators as needed.
- (4) Alternates Per School.
- Any specific team requests and/or information
Team Submittals You Will Need to Upload Per Team in School Registration:
- Prepared Design materials as listed below are required for participation in MESA Day.
- User Profile Template:
- MUST be submitted in Portable Document Format (.PDF) as (1) Document.
- Project Video Link:
- Must be accessible for public view in YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox, Google Drive or similar format. Ensure access before submitting.