In collaboration with NM MESA, New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) is proud to announce the 2023 Summer Field Experience (SFE) at the Conservation Center (CSC). The program emphasizes field-based natural resources experiences (e.g., forestry, fire ecology, range science, soils, hydrology, etc.). SFE is a FREE two-week residential summer experience exclusively for High School students from June 5th-17th in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Students will receive early college experience, including living on NMHU campus dorms and navigating a college campus. Additionally, students will explore careers in natural resources, meet and job shadow local STEM professionals (and future employers!), learn to use innovative sciences technologies, and strengthen their word processing and analytical skills. SFE is place-based and set in familiar local landscapes with real-world challenges. Upon completing the program, students will get a $300 stipend, and those who plan to attend NMHU, can receive 4 college credits for an introductory forestry class (FOR1010).
- Must be a current High School student, 9th-12th grade, with a preference for sophomores and juniors, from both MESA and non-MESA Northern New Mexico schools
- Students must submit a complete application, including a teacher endorsement/reference.
- A commitment to participate and complete the program for the entire two-week period from June 5th-17th, 2023. After the application deadline on May 19th, 2023, applicants will be promptly selected and students will need to confirm their participation by May 26th, 2023, to secure a spot in this program.
- All participating high school students in a MESA school must have an A-0 completed and submitted. Non-MESA students will need to provide additional information and release forms upon selection.
- Student participants must arrange their own transportation to the NMHU campus on June 5 (arrival) and June 17 (departure). A transportation stipend is available for students living further than 25 miles from Las Vegas, NM.
- Participants agree to follow all New Mexico Highlands University policies for the duration of the program. Policies and student behavior contracts will be sent to final participants.
Use the Application button on this page to apply for the Spring 2023 Summer Field Experience. Please read all eligibility and details carefully. It is the responsibility of the applying student to submit their application by the deadline, May 19th, 2023.
SFE is funded by USDA and FORT-CREST.