In collaboration with NM MESA, New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) are proud to announce the 2022 Summer Field Experience (SFE) at the Conservation Center (CSC). The program emphasizes field-based natural resources experiences (e.g., forestry, fire ecology, range science, soils, hydrology, etc.). SFE is a FREE two-week residential summer experience exclusively for High School students from June 6th-18th in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Students will receive early college experience, including living on campus dorms and navigating a college campus. Also, students will get to explore careers in natural resources, meet local STEM professionals, job shadowing and be introduced to natural sciences technologies, and strengthen their word processing and analytical skills. All outdoor experiences are place-based experiences in familiar local landscapes. Upon completing the program, students will get to go on a White Water Rafting excursion and receive a stipend.
- Must be a current High School student (9-12 grades) in a MESA or non-MESA Northern New Mexico schools
- Students must submit a complete application, including a teacher endorsement/reference.
- A commitment to participate and complete the program for the entire two-week period; June 6th-18th, 2022. After the application deadline (May 1st, 2022) and applicants are selected, they will need to confirm their spot in the program by May 9th, 2022. If unable to commit, the team will move on to the next person on the waitlist.
- All participating high school students in a MESA school must have an A-2 and A-1 completed and submitted. Non-MESA students must be willing to provide additional information and release forms once selected for the program.
- Have transportation to the program at the start and when it ends.
- New Mexico Highlands University requires COVID-19 Vaccinations for all students using NMHU Campus facilities, including residence halls. For more information about the COVID-19 vaccinations requirement at NMHU, visit here.
- If exempt, students will need proof of a COVID-19 negative test. Exemption details are in the link.
Use the Application button on this page to apply for the Spring 2022 Summer Field Experience. Please read all eligibility and details carefully. It is the responsibility of the applying student to submit their application by the deadline, May 1st, 2022.