Dec 1, 2014 –
What is the NM MESA-NMOGA Scholarship?
This is a scholarship that was created to partner with the Oil and Gas Education & Career Fair. The New Mexico Oil and Gas Association (NMOGA) have provided this scholarship as an incentive for attendance and as reward for deserving students. All applications will be reviewed by a NMOGA committee and will be awarded through NM MESA.
How much is the award and for how long?
Up to 21 scholarships will be awarded at $500/each. Each award will be awarded as a one-time award in the Fall Semester of 2015. NM MESA/NMOGA reserves the right to determine the number of awarded scholarships based on number and quality of applications received and allowable budget.
What are the requirements to receive a NM MESA-NMOGA Scholarship?
- Students must have actively participated in NM MESA programs during their high school years, including the entirety of their senior year.
- Students must have attended an Oil and Gas Education & Career Fair in 2012, 2013, or 2014.
- Students must submit a complete application by deadline.
- Before receiving their awards, recipients must provide proof of registration at a university indicating full-time enrollment.
- Upon receipt of award, student must write a Thank You letter to NMOGA donor expressing how the scholarship has helped with their education and may be asked to provide a quality testimonial to the NM MESA program.
Who is eligible?
- Current Seniors graduating in December, 2014-May 2015 that will be attending college starting Summer or Fall of 2015.
- Students eligible to receive scholarship funds through the recipients attending institution.
When will the money be awarded?
- Scholarship recipients will be notified about their awards no later than January 30, 2015 via email.
- Scholarship award is contingent upon recipient attending college in the Summer/Fall 2015 semesters.
- Scholarships will be processed and money will be sent directly to the recipient’s college to be used as needed for allowable scholarship funds. Please see IRS Topic 421 as needed for explanation of what is an allowable expense.
- Recipients will be asked to complete documentation and submit an acceptance letter in July/August 2015 which will instruct NM MESA to distribute funds. Funds will be paid to institution at the start of their attending semester (Summer or Fall). If student is attending Summer 2015 recipient will be required to notify the MESA Office in May 2015
How do I apply?
Complete the online application available on our NM MESA website: https://www.nmmesa.org/event/oil-and-gas-fair/ Application will request the following information:
- Application will be available under Events, Past or Current dependent upon search date, and Oil and Gas Career & Education Fair.
- Application deadline of
December 1, 2014 at 5PM.EXTENDED DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 8 AT 5PM
- Student data including valid email, phone, and mailing address. Information needs to be current through Fall 2015.
- Completion of 4 short essays as follows. Each essay must be between 500 and 650 words. Please note the first short essay is also part of the Common Application. On the event site there is a template to type in answers to the essay questions. Template must be saved as a .pdf, .jpg, .doc, or .docx document and then uploaded when completing the online application. Document is to be saved with the full applicants name as the title. Example, “Jane Doe Essays”.
- Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
- How has the NM MESA program helped you prepare for the future?
- What role do hydrocarbons play in the development of alternative energy?
- Explain how hydrocarbons revolutionized the medical industry and what impact that innovation has on combating epidemics, such as Ebola, in remote areas.
- A scanned letter of recommendation from a school staff member (teacher, coach, MESA advisor, administrative member, etc.). This will need to be attached in the application as a .pdf, .jpg, .doc, or .docx document with the applicant’s full name in the document title. Letter should express why you should receive scholarship and what qualities make you a good applicant.
- You will need recommender’s name and email address for application.
NM MESA Program Coordinator
O: (505) 454-3027