Dec 3, 2013 –
What is the NM MESA-NMOGA Scholarship?
This is a scholarship that was created to partner with the Oil and Gas Education & Career Fair. The New Mexico Oil and Gas Association (NMOGA) have provided this scholarship as an incentive for attendance and as reward for deserving students. All applications will be reviewed by a NMOGA committee and will be awarded through NM MESA.
How much is the award and for how long?
Each region will be eligible for up to (3) scholarships at $500/each. Each award will be awarded as a one-time award in the Fall Semester of 2014. NM MESA/NMOGA reserves the right to decrease the number of awarded scholarships based on number and quality of applications received per region.
What are the requirements to receive a NM MESA-NMOGA Scholarship?
- Students must have actively participated in NM MESA programs during their high school years, including the entirety of their senior year.
- Students must have attended the 2013 Oil and Gas Education & Career Fair.
- Students must submit a complete application by deadline.
- Before receiving their awards, recipients must provide proof of registration at a university indicating full-time enrollment.
- Upon receipt of award, student must write a Thank You letter to NMOGA expressing how the scholarship has helped with their education and may be asked to provide a testimonial to the NM MESA program.
Who is eligible?
- Current Seniors graduating in December, 2013-May 2014 that will be attending college starting Summer or Fall of 2014.
- Recipients may be asked to complete a W-9S and as such need to be eligible to receive scholarship funds through the recipients attending institution.
When will the money be awarded?
- Scholarship recipients will be notified about their awards no later than January 10, 2014 via email.
- Scholarship award is contingent upon recipient attending college in the Summer/Fall 2014 semesters.
- Scholarships will be processed and money will be sent directly to the recipient’s college to be used as needed for allowable scholarship funds. Please see IRS Topic 421 as needed for explanation of what is an allowable expense.
- Recipients will be asked to complete documentation and submit an acceptance letter in May 2014 which will instruct NM MESA to distribute funds. Funds will be paid to institution prior to the start of their attending semester (Summer or Fall).
How do I apply?
Complete the online application. Application will request the following information:
- Apply Here: http://www.cvent.com/d/v4qlsw
- EXTENDED DEADLINE OF December 4, 2013 at 5PM.
- Student data including valid email, phone, and mailing address. Information needs to be current through Fall 2014.
- Completion of 4 short essays as follows. It is suggested to answer and save these questions in word format and then copy/paste them in. Each essay must be between 250 and 650 words. Please note the first 2 short essays are also part of the Common Application.
- Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
- Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, which marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
- Discuss a meaningful achievement within the NM MESA program and how it relates to your goals for the future.
- Discuss an experience at the 2013 Oil and Gas Education & Career Fair. What did you learn and how will the experience impact you and/or your community?
- A scanned letter of recommendation from a school staff member (teacher, coach, MESA advisor, administrative member, etc.). This will need to be attached in the application as a .pdf, .jpg, .doc, or .docx document. Letter should express why you should receive scholarship and what qualities make you a good applicant.
- You will need recommender’s name and email address for application.
NM MESA Program Coordinator
O: (505) 454-3027